Saturday, March 2, 2013

Journey through hell - Tatkal Passport Application

28/02/2013

I don't intend to infuse either literary excellence or reader appeal in this particular blog entry. This is going to be solely a public diary entry, upon request from people who felt I should trap this day somewhere. I would inform you beforehand, that it's going to be pretty elaborate :-)

For the purpose of giving TOEFL and GMAT, I needed my Passport under Tatkaal quota. A friend of mine who has applied for the same gave me necessary instructions about getting Annex F and I prepared, former from the Institute Admin Office, while the latter from a local Notary.
I woke up early at 6, prepared with all required documents, except the proof of my Permanent Address. I went to the Admin Office sharp at 8 for Annex F. The guard informed me that the office would open at 10, and so I happened to visit my classes for a couple of hours. At around 11, I visited the office and straight away went towards the stationary room where the document had to be printed. I happened to know the person in-charge there, thanks to the interactions while preparing news releases for the IIT conversion struggle. He helped me get the document ready swiftly, with just one step of data verification left.
I was asked to get the data verified from a clerk who sits on ground floor. I was aware that with no proof of permanent address, it was going to be tough, but the reality was going to test me for the limits.
The clerk told me that I HAD to bring some proof, without which he could not approve. He advised me to get my permanent address updated from the bank, and then give him the bank statement.
I went to the bank and tried to get information as to how updating of the address could be possible. The clerk at bank informed me that banks would only rely on information which is based on a proof by a bank document. Even if I attach any declaration, I need to use the signature from account statement to get the signature verified. This was almost impossible for me, as under this logic, I had to request my landlord to write an application of declaration and his SBI bank account statement (assuming he had his account there!). I called my dad up, and when no solution seemed probable, I rushed back to Admin Office and informed the clerk about the same.
I requested him to give me permission for the meantime, and I would provide figure out a way to get the proof within a week. He made his stand humbly clear, and told me nothing could be done without the documents. I requested him to look into any provision that was possible. He asked me to wait for 10 mins, while he thought about how I could get the approval.
After about 5 mins, he told me about a way that would make the approval possible - getting a letter forwarded by the department head; the letter mentioning mention of my permanent address.
While I drove towards my department, I felt this was almost impossible, as they would again need some proof of permanent address at the department. But this time, while talking to my parents on the phone, I figured out a way. Taking permission from the HOD, I got my mother's internet bill printed out, and attached it with the application. This was accepted by the HOD, and he forwarded my application. Once, I got the application, I rushed towards the Admin Office and got the approval from the clerk, thanking him a million times. The final set of signature was done, and my Annex F was ready. The time was around 1:30PM now.
I went to my hostel to have lunch, and verified what was next in the to-do list.
After the lunch was over, I biked towards the Notary I happened to know, because he had made my Anti-Ragging Affidavit a couple of years back. I reached his office somehow, and he told me it was not possible that day as the electricity was not there, and he could not print the Annex document. I asked him if there was some other way, and if I could get the document printed somewhere else. He thought for a while, picked up his phone and called up a particular shopkeeper, asking him whether there was electricity there. Thankfully, the person replied in the positive, and I was asked to rush to the shop and get the document typed and printed before the electricity went away. The paper on which the document had to be made was the Notary paper, and I held it between my lips as I biked towards the shop. Once the printout was taken, I went back to the Notary, paid him the money and asked about directions for the Passport office.
The way was clear in my mind, and I thought I'll keep asking people for directions while I drive. When I approached the road crossing near IP Vijaya mall, I saw a huge traffic jam. Tactically driving, I reached upto  the front of the traffic, only to realise that I had to find some alternate route, all thanks to the religious procession blocking the way, and was supposed to take a couple of hours to complete.
I turned around, and sought alternate ways to reach to the destination. On the way, I met two gentlemen on the bike who helped me with the route, and I followed them for a while. My bike's chain was very loose, and on the way I had to stop about 4-5 times for getting the chain back on the driving gear.
Next, I kept on asking people around for directions, as I had to reach before 5PM.
On reaching the passport office, I rushed inside and stood near one of the counters. They were really cluttered with people, and I had to squeeze my way into one of them for asking the officer about the steps I had to follow. The building is a beautiful blue glass structure, and appears out of place relative to the surrounding very old shops. Even the overall processes were digitalized partially, and I felt an end coming to my worries. The officer on the counter told me that one additional printout was required, which had a bar code that they needed to proceed with the application. I just had to find a neighbouring shop and get that sheet printed. But just then, the person sitting on the right of this officer saw my Annex F, and said that it was not valid and would not work. I insisted on the fact that my friend had successfully applied with the same document. He told me to wait while he would confirm the same from the higher level officer in the Passport Office - the APO. When he returned, he handed over to me a sheet, and asked me to go back to college and show it to the Registrar, saying that it was not allowed under normal provisions for him to issue the Annex F. I was shocked, as I had not expected this, and I continuously insisted that the application be submitted the same day. Getting Annex F from any other authority was almost an impossibility, and so I stuck to my request. I was made to talk to the APO, and he repeat the exact same words of the Officer. I assured him that the message would reach the concerned people, but if he could forward the application, a big problem for me would be solved. I told him how urgently I required it. After a bit of thought, he asked me to come up to his room and meet him. I climbed up the ladders onto his room and stood near his desk while he examined my documents, while mentioning how problematic it can be for him if a special inquiry asks him the reason for this special permission.
He said that this would be the last application he approves, and no further requests should come to him. He asked me to come next day in the morning.
I did the same, and through a very formal strict procedure, my application for passport was finally submitted.
It was hell of an experience, and the first one for me, where tackling with a simple thing like getting a Tatkaal passport became just a very difficult and tiring experience!
But at the end of the day, the story had a happy ending. Now, I'm just waiting for the day when the passport arrives. I know this seems funny, but trust me - I really want to thank all those people who voluntarily helped me, because one thing I realized at the end of the day is - in official matters, there is no parameter for emotion. It is strict, harsh and formal.
But then....THIS is life.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment