Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Voice of the Naga

'UNBELIEVABLE' was what came to my mind when I met these two babas on Shivala ghat today while watching the famous 'sun rise by the river'.



It all began when an old man started asking me about how much time would it take if he goes to Sarnath. I quickly judged from his hindi, that he was not a local, as he sounded very similar to how people back in my hometown speak.
He then talked for a while in English, and I was surprised because it was difficult to expect a baba to be so fluent. We talked a little while and I asked him about his life.
He was born in Kashmir, and has been roaming all around India since his childhood. He knows so many languages, it baffled me when he started speaking Bengali as fluently as any Bengali. He talked about how dramatic some babas by the ghats would be...smoking weed, talking like they were some spiritual geniuses. He said it was just a part of their lifestyle....the actual learning is internal and absolute. It was impossible to externally portray it, and being naked, white ash all over the body, smoking weed was just a way of life for them.
He told me his name was Pagal Baba (Mad baba), because he always remained cheerful. And others would say that only a mad man can always stay happy! He would find a reason to laugh in anything I would say, and I myself could not stop marveling at this Superhuman standing before me.....with the Superpower to stay happy!
Just then joined another baba who looked like he was relatively new in the trade. He asked me what I was doing, and when I told him about my University and the job I was going to do, he smiled and told me that he was a B.Tech. himself. Electronics and Communication. Had worked in IBM Bangalore before becoming a baba. That was 12 years back.
The Pagal baba would take rounds around the B.Tech. baba, and I figured out it was to give him a curse! For fun of course. :D They are humans too, very obviously. And humans need 'work-and-play' to NOT be a 'dull boy'. :-)
He told me how fortunate I was to get an opportunity to study in a city like Varanasi - the way to the ultimate knowledge was a fusion of Spirituality and Science. And we were the lucky gems who were gifted with the opportunity to study engineering in the Religious capital of India.
He talked about how people misinterpret religion as something they have to follow. We should always look for meaning behind what we pursue. One can read in the news about Kumbh mela being the largest gathering in the world, but how many people who go to Kumbh really know its significance?
It's an opportunity to wash off all sins and negativity, and be gifted with a new beginning.
He also explained the significance about the enormous fore-head wide tilak that they apply. The central point of the forehead is considered to be where God resides. And as we keep temples very clean and decorated, it is essential that we decorate the forehead too. As a way of showing respect to the Almighty.
He also emphasized on not being artificial with God, and being comfortable with Spirituality. One should be the best one can, and in that he would always be at peace with God. No regrets, no guilt.
As my Russian guests arrived, I made them both meet the baba, and suddenly realised how well groomed they were with flirting. :D Yeah, trust me on this!
I was surprised at how sensible all of what I heard sounded, and a sudden realization struck that all the engineering we have learned so far has no meaning without knowing the meaning behind those underlying layers - a necessary fusion of Science and Spirituality - non-existent without each other.
Think about it :-)


K

4 comments:

  1. Portrayal of the Human feelings: (:D)

    The left baba: Wtf is going on and what is the guy doing; I never got to even touch such an alien device!

    The right baba: I have attained salvation. The mad ones like this guy; trying to take a click, doesn't really know the bullshit he has been doing over the years; I can very well feel them through my telekinesis ability. He will get his lessons once he goes to heaven; oh wait! its hell

    The middle baba: main toh sidha sadha, bhola bhola launda hun, jisne abhi abhi IIT main kadam rakha hai aur ladkiyon ko flirt karna sikha hai. kya pata, subeh kiska chehra dekh liya, jo in dono ke beech main phas gaya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping the temple (forehead) decorated is just the mythical explanation. Here are some "Tilak" facts:

    The center of the forehead is where all the mystical activities begin. The different types of Tilaks have different meanings. The Raj Tilak (the long one) is meant to direct the energy from within towards the brain. The simple Tilak at the middle of the eyebrows is meant to strengthen the mystic experience. The long and thick tilak of Chandan that covers the forehead is meant to relieve the pain in the forehead that happens due to excessive meditation and prolonged mystical experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's neat, Johri Baba :D Next article devoted to you pakka :P

    ReplyDelete